26 Jun CCSD Board of School Trustees meeting recap, June 25
Agenda Item 5.02 – COVID-19 and CCSD’s Response
The Clark County School District (CCSD) Board of School Trustees were presented with school reopening plan recommendations in order to take precautionary measures against COVID-19 in the 2020-21 school year. The presentation was created under the restrictions of the Governor’s Phase 2 reopening plan. The recommendations include:
● Adjusted start date for students:
○ Recommended first day of the 2020-21 school year: Monday, August 24,
● Blended Learning:
○ Students at all grade levels are provided with face-to-face instruction at
school two days a week.
○ Students at all grade levels learn online outside of school three days a
● Semester-Based Courses for Secondary Students:
○ Year-long courses will be condensed to one semester.
○ Students will take only four courses in one semester.
The Board of School Trustees are scheduled to vote on a final reopening plan at the Thursday, July 9, 2020 public Board Meeting. Trustees will meet at a public special board meeting to continue to discuss this item prior to the July 9 meeting.
To view Superintendent Dr. Jesus F. Jara’s remarks about agenda item 5.02, see the attached pdf document.
To view the reopening plan recommendations, click here.
Agenda Item 5.01 – Budget Update
Trustees received an update on CCSD’s 2020-21 budget.
CCSD Board of School Trustees passed a final budget in May 2020 with an estimated $2.4 billion general operating budget for the 2020-21 school year. Due to COVID-19, there are uncertain aspects of the budget, and CCSD is awaiting final numbers from the state as are other school districts around the state.
The budget can be reopened at any point before December to account for additional adjustments.
To view documents related to this item, click here.
Superintendent Dr. Jesus F. Jara’s Opening Statement – Reopening Plan Presentation can be viewed, here.